Friday fire destroys RV, damages barn
A Friday afternoon blaze destroyed an RV and damaged a pole barn in Gilead Township about 2:30 p.m. August 24.
Mt. Gilead and Cardington firefighters responded to the fire at CR 124 and CR 26 that produced black smoke visible from Cardington. A full size recreational vehicle parked next to a metal pole barn was completely burned and the side of the barn and part of its roof was damaged.
Mt. Gilead Fire Chief Greg Young said the fire started in the dashboard of the RV. A resident started up the RV to pump the antifreeze out with plans of using the vehicle at the upcoming fair. When she returned to the RV, smoke was coming from the dashboard. The blaze then spread to the metal building.
Morrow County EMS, Cardington Police and the Morrow County Sheriff’s office were on the scene as well.