Glance Back will return next week
Bits and pieces from Morrow County papers in past years
December 5, 1848:
Westfield: The American Hotel in Westfield, Ohio is situated in the north end of Westfield, Morrow County, Ohio, and has recently been fixed up with all the apportenances necessary to the accommodation of travelers and others as the proprietor feels confident that he can render satisfaction to all who may call on him J. Griffith, good fare and moderate bills.
1872: Barbers now put the Dolly Varden touch on the heads of nice young men. The style consists of pasting the hair down lower than ever on the forehead making a regular ring-tailed soap lock in front of each ear. The wearer looks sweet enough to be kicked by every half witted female who comes around.”
1923: License has been permitted by our Worthy Mayor (Cardington) for the sale of straw on Main Street almost in front of Leverings Station. Well sprinkled streets and a litter of straw and a croquet park render the town attractive. Ye croquet players look out for any fleas!”
1931: Gasoline in Mount Gilead has gone up one cent and is now retailing at 17 cents and 20 cents per gallon. One station in town is selling one grade of gasoline at 16 cents. Raise is due to higher price paid in the west for crude oil.
A series of raids in three homes in Morrow County last week netted a quantity of whiskey, three barrels of mash and three arrests by state prohibition agents.
Mrs. Alice Van Sickel, 72 years a newspaper woman, celebrated her 86th birthday. She is considered America’s oldest and most active woman journalist. Note: Alice was a Cardington resident and reporter for the Morrow County Independent.
1933: Dr. Frank Sweeney of Galion is now located in Mount Gilead with offices over the Whiston Drug Store. Graduating from the College of Medicine at The Ohio State University, Dr. Sweeney fulfilled his internship at Youngstown College. He also holds a degree from the College of Pharmacy at OSU. His wife, the former Margaret Thayer of Piqua is a graduate nurse from the University Hospital, Columbus.
1934: The Big Four Railroad crossing at Cardington, where six persons met death in December, will be protected by flasher signals. They will be located in the center of the highway.
1936: Cardington village is ready to receive bids for the construction of a new water works system. The cost of the entire project is estimated at $84,000, the greater part of which will be financed with a PWA loan.
1937: Eight WPA laborers have been transferred from the county infirmary project to the storm sewer project in Cardington, making a total of 68 men assigned to the project. To date, over 400 feet of concrete sewer pipe has been laid in a trench which varies in depth from 12-13 feet.
1938: Frank Childers of Loudonville, has purchased from Frank Kester, the triangular plat of ground between three roads at Quakerdom on Route 42, two miles south of Mount Gilead and will erect a two story building to house a filling station, grocery and restaurant. Note: This became the 3R’s, a popular dining place. It is now the site of Jahn Monuments.
Fifty years ago from the February, 1964 Searchlight, the Cardington High school newspaper:
Pictured were the high school cheerleaders: Lois McElroy, Julie McAlister, Dolores Ebert, Wanda Fiant, Darlene Ebert and Carol Rhineberger.
J. L. Patterson, completing 35 years of teaching, 32 at Cardington, had submitted his resignation as executive head of the Cardington school. He was a 1925 CHS graduate and had been principal at Cardington for 13 years and superintendent for 19 years.
Students of the month were Nelson Hack and Karen Briggs.
The CHS basketball team had completed a 2-17 season and Coach John Kachilla had written an editorial commending the team for their “never give up” attitude.
Team members pictured were Carl Davis, Lonnie Beckel, Marvin Smith, Larry Burggraf, Ricky Brake, Bill Gregg, Gus Peyton, Nelson Hack, Kenny Bender, Bob Peak, Roger Slack, Roger Geckley, Dick Fleming, Terry Haywood, Stan Heacock and Steven Conaway.